Saturday, February 23, 2013

Wine Tasting: Simply Naked Unoaked Moscato

Whelp - not really sure where the month of February went, but here we are. I've tried a wide variety of wines in the last month, but haven't done the best job of documenting them. I did, however, get my act together this week. I did a full on wine tasting myself with some good home cooked dinner. 

 The bottle on our counter - nicely chilled!
Yummy Chicken Lasagna

As I mentioned in my earlier post, I really enjoy white wines. While I am working to expand my palate and appreciation for a greater variety, Moscato is typically my go-to wine, even though it is occasionally too sweet. I was cooking dinner this week and had gone to one of the nice super Targets to get the ingredients for the chicken lasagna when I came across this Moscato I had never had before. It was a 2011 Simply Naked Unoaked Moscato. It was $9 and totally worth the try. Out of California, this sweet white wine had many fruity flavors. I first drank it while cooking dinner, so that I was able to get a feel for the wine without the interference of food. As with many whites, it was fairly simple, but very sweet. There were some hints of apricot and even cinnamon coming out. Once dinner was ready, I drank some with the lasagna and noted an interesting taste combination between the sweetness of the wine and the saltiness from the cheese within the lasagna. I found that I actually enjoyed the wine more with the food, rather than by itself, mostly because it made the wine not quite as sweet. For its price, I found the Simply Naked Unoaked Moscato enjoyable and would absolutely consider getting it again! Stay tuned for a post from my visit to Chateau Morrisette winery! 

http://www.wine-searcher.com/wine-237237-2011-simply-naked-unoaked-moscato-california-usa

No comments:

Post a Comment